Tape Drive Cleaning Frequency (AIT)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri May 14 15:11:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:28:14PM -0400, Derek Featherston wrote:
> |[Jim Ray sez:] you clean 'em regularly if you want the device to work.
>

> Could some people chime in with their definitions of regularly?  My
> particular configuration uses AIT-3 media - and all AIT drives contain a
> built-in automatic head cleaner.  I'm currently using a cleaning tape once a
> month, but I've read recommendations that span from 1 week to 6 months.  Any
> thoughts?

AIT and VXA drives both, I believe, notify you when cleaning is
required.  I tend to clean my VXA1 about once every other month, and it
seems sufficient.  I have a monitor utility that tells me when the drive
thinks it needs cleaning, which is infrequently.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :