RFID for datacenters

sonali luniya sonali_luniya at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 11:07:09 EST 2004

Hi all,
I am a graduate student at North Carolina State University. I have taken a class this semester in the NCSU business school. The aim of the class is to evaluate a technology for commercialization. One of our product ideas is a chipless - RFID tag. The chipless tags will be 5 times cheaper than the conventional RFID tags.

Now we are in the market research phase. Since our tags can be read from a maximum of 3 meter distance, it will have applications in niche markets. One of the market segments could a datacenter. The idea is -- Each device (server / router etc) in a datacenter will be have  a RFID tag on it. The RFID handheld reader can read multiple tags, wirelessly. In a datacenter the datacenter / system administrator can walk down the aisle and scan multiple tags. This will speed up regular inventory control. It will also help locate a particular device fast in case of a device failure.
It sounds like a good idea, but we want to know if there is really a need for such a solution in the industry. If there is a need, what is the problem we are trying to solve.

Some of our market research questions are:
1: In a datacenter, how difficult it is to locate a particular device in a room full of devices?
2: Does a datacenter do regular inventory control?
3: Is this a viable/interesting solution ?
4: What amount would a datacenter be ready to invest in such a system?

We would be very glad if anybody who has experience working in a datacenter or similar projects, could answer the above questions. Your feedback will help us build a good business plan , the end goal of the course.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Sonali.