daylight saving time algorithm changing

Michael Garvin mgarvin at mcnc.org
Tue Aug 9 10:30:06 EDT 2005

The binary files are compiled with 'zic' from zoneinfo timezone source files.
On Solaris, the source files are in:

/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/src

along with a "README" describing how it does it.  They (Sun/Solaris) track
the source files from:

ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/

So, presumably your tax dollars will fund getting these files updated.  Note
that they haven't been since 14-Jul-2005.

The source files describe (essentially) date ranges for the time changes
(since they've been changed a few times, and have some variance) and when and
how to make the change.  Therefore, you should be able to manually update the
logic and recompile using 'zic', but you're probably safer waiting for the
appropriate vendor(s) to issue patches...

See also 'zdump'.

HTH,

 - Mike

--
Michael Garvin - SCSA, SCNA, SCSA Security
   Systems Programmer/Analyst
mgarvin at mcnc.org
http://www.mcnc.org/