OT: SI vs Imperial [was re: daylight saving time algorithm changing]

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Aug 9 11:24:03 EDT 2005

A. Michael Salim wrote:

>>I for one don't like my recipes sounding like chemistry experiments.
>>Having dated someone from an SI-speaking country, I have first-hand
>>experience.  Somehow "250mL dry sherry" makes me think of pouring stuff
>>in graduated cylinders(*), not creating delicious food...  In the same
>>vein though, the SI-speaker just goes to show it's completely a matter
>>of perception.  'Round here, SI means chemistry class.  Over there, it's
>>just the way it's done.
 >
> It's all well and good to say "SI means nothing, Imperial you can put your
> arms around bacse it feels right".  Over "there" (wherever that is),
> understand that lbs and ounces and inches means diddly, and everyone knows
> what a kilo and a litre feels like.  So it's all relative, and no need to
> look down on someone else's units of measure.

I agree completely!  I was hoping to present a fairly level-headed take
by noting that it is a matter of perception, what "feels right" to us is
just as empty to almost everyone else around the world (whether their
system of measure is SI or something else entirely).  I certainly didn't
intend to come across as belittling anyone and gravely apologize if I did!

Cheers,
~B