WINS not doing its job

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Feb 25 15:52:01 EST 2005

On Fri, February 25, 2005 3:28 pm, Brian Henning said:
> Hi All,
>    Just got in some new Dell Dimension 3000s preloaded with Windows XP
> Pro.  And for some reason, they're failing to correctly use WINS (i.e.
> can't reach other workstations by their netBIOS names, only by IP..)..
> At this point, we're just a lowly workgroup (too many XP Home machines
> that would kink up a proper AD domain), and this problem hasn't shown
> itself before..  So I'm at a loss as to where to start poking to fix
> it.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Much thanks,
> ~Brian

Extremely basic, but have you enable netbios over TCP/IP for the
network adapter.  Also realize if their is no central wins server,
they are pointed to, then it will take time for browse lists to sync.
And if there is not domain master browser controlling wins, then all
of your XP  machines may be fighing over whos going to maintain the
wins list.

Without knowing more about your network setup, it's kind of hard to
start troubleshooting your problem.

Matt