Horde/IMP versus Squirrelmail

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve jlguallar at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:47:54 EDT 2005

On 5/23/05, Jeff The Riffer <riffer at vaxer.net> wrote:

> So now I'm trying to decide if I should install Horde/IMP on the new box
> (FC3), or try out Squirrelmail. Any suggestions? This is for a small group
> of no more than a couple of dozen users, though many of them are quite
> e-mail active.

2 things:

1. I've only managed Squirrelmail, and it is not bad. Pretty easy to
use, no big problems. As always, keep on top of security, as it is a
web-based application.

2. FC3? How long are you planning to use this server in the current
configuration? And how much time are you planning to dedicate to
administration/OS upgrades? As you should know, the life of Fedora
Core releases is short. Very short, around 10 months. I'd recommend
you to look for a different distribution with longer life.

As you seem keen on "The Red Hat Way" (TM)(R)(c), I'd suggest you to
try CentOS 3 or CentOS 4. Very Red Hat-like (and I mean *very*), and
with a support life  of ~ 5 years.

Regards,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve         Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
PACS and Systems Administration  http://www.easternrad.com