Horde/IMP versus Squirrelmail

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Tue May 24 15:18:07 EDT 2005

on Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:55:47PM -0400, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 11:47 am, Steven Champeon said:
> <snip>
> >
> > Well, I dunno about Horde/IMP, but it seems like nearly all of the
> > phishing scams I see here (on the order of a dozen or so a day) and
> > 419
> > scams (on the order of hundreds a day) come from compromised boxes
> > running Squirrelmail. The ~30 listed vulnerabilities at security-focus
> > don't exactly compel confidence, either. Seems like a pretty good way
> > unwittingly get yourself into the world spam/scam conspiracy to me.
> > But
> > maybe installing Maia Mailguard in front of it will help.
>

> Ok, First off I think your ~30 stats are a little mis-leading.  I say
> this b/c I searched Security-Focus for SM advisories and got 39 hits.
> But some advisories were listed more than once for the same
> vulnerability, such as when Fedora Core 2 & 3 both put out new rpm's
> that is being shown as two hits.  Samething with other distro's as
> well.  Also some of the vulnerabilities were for PHP, which can affect
> SM, but doesn't necessarily.

Shrug. I searched for vulnerabilities, not vendor advisories, and saw
around two dozen. It's easily looked up, though difficult to link to.

> I've been using SM for at least 2 years and the majority of
> vulnerabilites have been cross site scripting vulnerabilities.  Since
> SM is a mail client only, I find it hard to believe that SM itself is
> responsible for all the Scam emails you have been getting.

I don't follow - seems to me that mail clients are what are used to send
mail. Given that it needs to be sent to be received or relayed, I don't
see your point.

> I find it more plausable that the SM box is also an open relay more
> than SM being used to unknowingly send Spam/phishing emails.

So why would the messages contain headers like this? From this month
alone: