ncsa-discussion Digest, Vol 21, Issue 8

Susan Spoddig geebles at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 09:37:38 EDT 2005

Jeff --

Pertinent to your vital questions:

	o Anyone else been in this boat, or similar? What'd you do?
	o Are the degrees from on-line universities like Phoenix or
Strayer generally given the same weight as "real" degrees?
	o Would it be better to prioritize my time/money towards
certificates and professional training?

I haven't been in this boat, but several of my friends have.  So have some
of the people I've hired.

So I'll be blunt.  You get a huge short-term bang-for-your-buck from
professional training and certs in areas you have experience in. ( But the
ROI can be small, so calculate carefully!!!)

I'll re-emphasize. Areas you have experience in. Short term.

This will buy you a decent step up in salary for about 24 months. After that
it becomes stale, and you will not see additional $ increases. You'll just
sit at whatever rate you become til Hell freezes over. And if you are like
most IT people, your job will prolly change firms every 2-5 years.  So after
that, you get to ride your experience bus.  Which is a crap shoot, and
totally up to you what you make of it.

On line degrees -- depends on the manager/individual. Some people just see,
Oh- OK, he has a BA or BS. Others look at the online colleges and think
"You've GOT to be kidding". Community & local colleges have a better
reception.

Another option is North Carolina c College out in RTP. More reasonable $$,
designed hour-wise for working/kid folks, and the program demand is
different.

Good luck!

Message: 2