Questions for S.C. candidates for monday's elections

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Fri Nov 11 23:27:10 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 19:31 -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> Matter: Accountability of S.C. members
>
> Currently S.C. members pass or fail resolutions without
> NCSA members knowing the way S.C. members voted or even
> the existance of the resolutions. While NCSA members are
> welcome to attend S.C. meetings, they've never do.
> Presumably as long as the talks are presented each
> month, NCSA members don't really care and this is a normal
> and reasonable stand by members. However without
> members knowing anything about the goings-on in the S.C.,
> the S.C. is not accountable. Our elected representatives
> in Congress publish their motions and lists of the
> representative's votes.
>
> Do you think the minutes, matters of interest to the members,
> motions presented, and voting of the S.C. should be made
> permanently available in a timely manner to the members
> (eg on a webpage)?
>
> If so, would you support a resolution to that effect?

I am in favor of allowing any interested party to join the ncsa-steer
list so that they can see the details of our deliberations.  If there
were ever a reason to go to "executive session" then I'd prefer to do so
in the flesh, but there may be a need for a steering committee
ncsa-steer-executive-session at ncsysadmin.org to which only steering
committee members could subscribe.

Indeed, the NC*SA web page describing ncs-steer at ncsysadmin.org says "The
ncsa-steer list is open to, and occupied by, both steering committee
members and any interested parties who are not currently committee
members."  The archives are available to list members.  If you've a
taste for this sort of thing, the recent archives are a fascinating
read.

	- Stephen