windows: NTLDR not found

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 8 09:44:36 EDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Liyun Yu wrote:

> This might has to do with the BIOS. In the working
> machine, the hard disk drive was recognized correctly by
> the BIOS. In the non-working machine, the BIOS might still
> remember the old disk (heads/cylinder/sectors), which I
> assume the old disk was not exactly the same as the "new"
> one, therefore it did not know where to find the Windows
> Loader because the hardware parameters assigned to it was
> from the old disk drive.

Are you saying that in the BIOS the disk may be "Type 42" or
whatever and I may be inserting a "Type 43" in its place?

On the desktop machines that I'm having the same problem
all the disks are set to Type="auto" and format="auto" (ie
whether LBA or whatever. So I'm not sure that the BIOS would
be causing the problem there.

> Would you please try to access the BIOS of the non-working one, when you
> power on the non working laptop, and let it re-recognize
> the hard disk, then save it, then reboot it?

The laptops have minimal abilities to set the BIOS. I can
set the date and a passwd and test the memory etc, but
that's about it. There's nothing about disks.

Joe