[NCSA-discuss] printing from Win-ME

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 29 08:34:22 EDT 2006

(I'm not great with Windows)

My home network has (among other machines) two desktop w2k
machines. One has a printer, which both machines can print
to. I have a Win-ME laptop that wifi's into the network,
which I setup to print to the above printer. (This was a few
years ago and it took some effort. I think I had to use some
utility from HP to set up the printing. Scanning the
"Programs", I can't find this utility anymore.)

I then moved the printer to the other windows machine, where
both desktop w2k windows machines can print to it. The setup
wizard on the Win-ME laptop found the printer in the new
location, but printing doesn't work (can't remember error, I
think it says the printer is unavailable or off-line). I
moved the printer back to the original machine (where both
desktop machines can print to it), but printing from the
Win-ME box gives the same error (printer not available). I
can't delete the printers from the printer list on the
Win-ME laptop, the error being that the printers can't be
found. Presumably you can only remove a printer from the
client machine's list if the client machine can talk to the
printer.

Anyone know how to remove printers from the Win-ME laptop's
list of printers? Do I have to regedit? If so any
suggestions for a HOWTO/book on regedit?

Any suggestions as to getting the Win-ME laptop to print?

Presumably I could upgrade the OS on the laptop, but that
would be a bit of bother, since the laptop does everything
I need right now. However I've spent enough time fooling
with the printing that perhaps I should just cut my losses
and upgrade.

Thanks Joe