[NCSA-discuss] DNS Questions

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Feb 21 11:26:00 EST 2006

On Tue, February 21, 2006 11:20 am, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Derek Featherston wrote:
>
>> How do I go about making such a transition?
>
> When I last did a similar transition about 10yrs ago, it
> took about 36hrs for all DNS clients to get the new
> nameservers. The updates propagated slowly across USA (as
> seen by making requests from clients in various locations).
> Be prepared to be unreachable by name for a day or two.
>
> Joe

One of the things you can do to help propagation speed up is to set
the time to live down on your existing name servers so that people
cache them for a shorter period of time(you will have to have ait do
this though).  Also update your name servers with your registar on a
Friday at close of business most of your propagation will happen over
the weekend when no-one cares, at least it will be the least impact
especially on mail.  Remember to not have the short time to live on
your new servers at it will add unecessary queries to your domain name
servers.

godaddy ++

Matt P.