looking for windows (w2k) backup solution

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 17 09:20:35 EST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Brian Henning wrote:

thanks everyone for telling me about g4u.

It seems to be a dd type backup.

> Anyway, yeah, definitely look at section 5.10.  Defrag,
> empty recycle bin (including Norton Protected, if it
> exists..  that one has snuck up on me), delete temp files,
> etc. and run nullfile

nullfile eh. I hadn't thought of that for windows ;-\ On
linux I fill my disks with zeroes with a cronjob every
month, just so old stuff isn't left lying around.

since I'm already running dd and have successfully saved and
restored, I think the easiest thing would be to nullfile my
windows partition first, boot into linux, dd the windows
partition to my linux backup disk, and then gz the resulting
dd file.

About a month ago I asked here about mounting dd's of whole
disks and extracting partitions from them. That was fun.
I'm glad disks are cheap now.

Thanks Joe