looking for windows (w2k) backup solution

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Jan 17 10:46:26 EST 2006

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Brian Henning wrote:
>
>> dd if=/dev/hdwhatever | gzip -9 | dd of=/path/to/storage/area
>

> hadn't thought about running gzip in here.
>
> I ran nullfile, which puts a file DUMMY.??? in \winnt\system32. If you
> ^C on nullfile (rather than letting it terminate normally) you're left
> with a file in \winnt\system32.

What?  I always copy the nullfile exe to C:\, run it there in a command
shell, and it creates its temp file in the current working directory,
C:\.  I've never seen it create its temp file in \%WINDOWS%\system32.
Maybe it gets that working directory if you just double-click the exe
instead of using a command shell; I've never tried it that way.  I would
expect it to create the DUMMY.??? file in whatever working directory
Explorer handed to it, in that case (which is my way of saying "blame
Windows, not the program").

The abort behavior is useful for FAT filesystems.  Run nullfile until it
error-terminates (when the FAT says "I can't make this file any
bigger").  The DUMMY.??? stays, so you can run nullfile again
iteratively until all the free space is used up, then del DUMMY.* .
This, of course, isn't an advantage over the dd method.

> Deleting a file with a gui in a
> directory with thousands of other files one day will lead to deleting
> the wrong file. This doesn't seem like a good place for a temp file. A
> better place would be one of the directories that gets emptied as part
> of the disk cleanup in the explorer.

Sure.  No reason why my method wouldn't work by copying the exe to a
system-cleaned temp directory.

> Rob McCauley told me about temp directories and dd for windows, which
> indeed I have with cygwin (how did anyone develope on windows before
> cygwin?). I wrote a file of zeroes in c:\winnt\temp. Unlike linux, the
> file is left there on termination, so you have to delete it by hand.
>
> Using dd on windows seems more like familiar territory than running
> nullfile.

Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.  nullfile works without
the cygwin layer (is there a native [i.e. not requiring cyg] dd for
windows?  if so, wouldn't you still need cyg for the /dev/zero device?).

>> It's left as an exercise for the reader to find out if block size on
>> the reader dd makes any difference in the performance of the gzipping.
>

> block size doesn't make any difference with reading and writing.
> Presumably everything's buffered, so possibly it will be buffered for
> gzip too.

...Which is why it was left as an exercise for the reader.  I had no
idea one way or another, just a "hmm, wonder if..." and a lack of the
inspiration to actually go find the answer. ;-)

~Brian