[NCSA-discuss] windows cleanup following gratuitous download

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Oct 10 09:06:35 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Glenn Hennessee wrote:

> Unfortunately software downloads/installs without
> permission do happen. Reputable sites don't do this and
> this may or may not be a reputable site.

a site that installs files to my machine without informed
consent is not a reputable site.

> Start by downloading and installing Spybot Search and
> Destroy and AdAware.

just got'em thanks.

> If you are using the windows xp firewall,

everything is sitting behind my linux firewall, which
basically just stops all incoming connection requests.
However the firewall lets machines inside make any request
they like. I didn't really know what the windows xp firewall
would get me beyond my linux firewall (except it keeps
honking that it's turned off, when I have it turned on).

> good at blocking incoming traffic but at blocking outgoing
> traffic, get ZoneAlarm. There is a free version for home
> use. It knows common internet accessing programs but will
> ask if you want to let programs it doesn't know access the
> internet. This will let you know if anything is "phoning
> home" like key loggers, and targeted pop ups.

I didn't realise this was what ZoneAlarm did. I assumed it
was much like my Linux firewall. Finding which process is
opening a network connection isn't easy in Linux (I can't
think of how to do it right now).

Couldn't find a free version for home use. Seems you have to
buy or get a 15 day trial.

> If something is trying to get out and you don't recognize
> it, use google to find the program name. Firefox is much
> less likely to let a piece of spyware in since a lot of
> them come in as activex controls.

the one last night came in through firefox.

> Of course, some websites require activex or have specific
> code for IE. HijackThis can be very useful at times for
> finding registry entries, etc.

just got it too thanks

Joe

Some pieces of spyware can be very difficult to remove; again,