[NCSA-discuss] windows cleanup following gratuitous download

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Tue Oct 10 23:41:10 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Jeff The Riffer wrote:
>>> o how did a download and install of this cursor occur
>>> without him asking for/permitting it?
>> An Internet Explorer bug was exploited, most likely.
> I didn't say this but he was using firefox.

Sadly, there are zero-day exploits for Firefox as well. The most current
stable release is 1.5.0.7.

>> If you don't have antivirus installed and active, go
>> buy a copy of Kapersky Lab's antivirus product.
> have Norton. It didn't find anything

Keep an eye out for unusual system performance. The biggest danger is of a
trojan or a keylogger being installed. Avoid doing any banking activity on
that system until you are confident it is clean. Use a sniffer to monitor
the activity from it for a while...