[NCSA-discuss] windows/explore/samba - why so slow?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 5 18:16:48 EDT 2006

I've been using windows at home and it's all a bit new to
me.

When I look (explore) from my WinXP laptop to the listings
on my linux 100Mbyte samba fileserver (with about 5 levels
of directories), I expect I'm doing an `ls -l` (or
equivalent), which should be a kilobyte of data at the most.
But watching the blinking light on the wifi card, it blinks
for minutes and would appear to be copying Megabytes of data
(a test copy of a 1M files takes only seconds). For the time
it takes to list all the files in a directory, `explore`
would have to be copying all the files, not just listing
them.

Doing an equivalent `explore` on another windows machine on
the network (whose directories only go down one level and
only a Megabyte of files), is much quicker.

Is this just windows, does it have trouble going down
multiple levels of directories, or do I have something wrong
with my samba server?

Thanks Joe