[NCSA-discuss] windows/explore/samba - why so slow?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Sep 7 08:45:00 EDT 2006

Nothing but a wild guess:  Maybe something strange in the directory
structure on the slower machine?  Like a recursive symlink or something,
that might cause thrashing while Windows chases down directory trees to
build thumbnails?  Of course, beyond fsck, I wouldn't know how to check
for such things..  or how something like that would come to happen in
the first place.

My curiosity is certainly piqued.

~B