[NCSA-discuss] Network Monitoring preferences

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Jun 25 00:11:19 EDT 2007

Craig Cook wrote:
>> I'm curious to know if you were to deploy a network monitoring solution
>> similar to Nagios or OpenNMS, what would be your preferred method of
>> deployment?  Also what type of environment are you in Windows shop,
>> Linux/FOSS shop, mixed?
>>

> Depends on budget, your environment (mix of Operating Systems, number of boxes, number of desired services to monitor) and what you are trying to achieve.
>
> If this is a "proof-of-concept" start with one monitoring server on existing hardware and one client of each platform to monitor.  Manually install the clients.
>
> Something like hobbitmon will auto update its own unix clients (not true for windows yet)
>
> You should use your standard deployment method to send updates to devices on your network, eg. cfengine, puppet, radmind, (some commercial tool), etc.  If you are not running a deployment tool already you should look at installing and understanding that before you try large scale deployments.
>

> Craig Cook
> --
> Systems Monitoring Consulting and Support Services
> http://www.cookitservices.com

What I meant by this thread, was would you rather deploy something on a
stand alone box by downloading the software via and ISO or your would
rather have a VMware image.  The monitoring solution I was talking about
is http://www.commandcenter-noc.com.  I was trying not to have a
shameless plug, but apparently I didn't explain my question well enough
because everyone is misunderstanding :(  Currently we have a vmware
image, and I think we should also have an ISO.  How many people would
run their whole monitoring system in a VM?  How many would dedicate a
spare box to it, and load the the solution from an ISO.  We have a free
vmware image download of it now(limited to the number of devices you can
monitor in the free version) and I was trying to gage the interest in an
ISO.  We're finishing up a new release and I'm trying to push the new
release to also have a ISO version.  Sorry for all the cloak and dagger,
but I really was trying not to make this a sales related question.

Matt P.