[NCSA-discuss] preserving vfat attributes with unix 'cp -p', 'tar -p'

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Mar 13 12:54:14 EDT 2007

I have some windows files that I'd like to backup onto a
unix machine (say into another vfat partition). In windows I
made a set of 4 test files, using attrib, with each file
having one + attribute (+h, +s, +a, +r) and the other
attributes -ve (checked with Explorer). I then mounted the
directory under linux and copied the files to a new
directory or tar'ed them up and then untarred them in a new
directory. I then remounted the directories under windows
and checked the attributes of the copies with Explorer, to
see that the attributes were junk.

Is there any way of using unix to copy windows files and
preserve all attributes?

Thanks Joe