[NCSA-discuss] editors in windows, Mac

Simon Karpen simon at karpens.org
Sun Feb 3 12:04:36 EST 2008

Scott Stonefield wrote:
> Joe,
> 	I use SubEthaEdit but share ware not sure you want
> to pay for something.  There is vim ( vi improved) and emacs :)
> and what's wrong with them?

The problem (in my experience) is that you can either teach python or
you can teach vi. Trying to teach both at the same time is probably
impractical, unless you have an unusually gifted and technologically
clueful group of high school kids.

Having said that, when I use a Mac or Windows, I use the same editor I
use on Linux/BSD/Solaris: vi (whatever variant is installed, though I
will agree that vim is particularly nice)

Simon Karpen                                      simon at karpens.org
Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none
                                   -- Doug Larson