[NCSA-discuss] lightning protection on ethernet

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Fri May 16 21:23:29 EDT 2008

If mother nature wants to get you, she is going to get on with her bad
self, and there is nothing we can do about it. I vividly remember losing
a phone system to lightning even with the most expensive, fastest
reacting gas discharge protectors on the phone lines and UPS on the
power.

Mother nature does not play by the rules.

Some folks use fiber optics and media converters to go between buildings
to protect against voltage differentials. I would not use protection on
100-200' Ethernet inside a buidling.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Networks
tel: 919-838-1672 cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.NeuseRiverNetworks.com

Connecting You to the World since 1997

We specialize in managed services, IT outsourcing and installation of
network communications systems for voice, video and data.