[NCSA-discuss] USENIX storage seminar at UNC: 10/16/2008, 1 pm - 4 pm

Todd D. Taft taft at unclet.net
Mon Oct 13 14:23:34 EDT 2008

Reposting this to a larger list.  Feel free to re-post as appropriate.

Good afternoon. The USENIX Association will hold a technical lecture entitled
"Next Generation Storage Networking: Beyond Conventional SAN and NAS" on
Thursday, October 16 in the Hanes Art Center on the UNC Chapel Hill campus. The
lecture begins at 1 p.m., followed by a question and answer session at 3 p.m.
It is free of charge to faculty, staff, students and local IT professionals;
however, advance registration is required. Sponsored by the RENCI Engagement
Center at UNC and ITS, the lecture will explore ideas for leveraging existing
hardware investments and for planning future migration strategies.

Topics to be covered include the following:

      * Fundamentals of storage virtualization: the storage I/O path
      * Shortcomings of conventional SAN and NAS architectures
      * In-band and out-of-band virtualization architectures
      * The latest storage interfaces: SATA (serial ATA), SAS (serial attached
SCSI), 4Gb Fibre Channel, Infiniband, iSCSI
      * Content-Addressable Storage (CAS) and archivial file systems
      * Information Life Cycle Management (ILM) and Hierarchical Storage
Management (HSM)
      * The convergence of SAN and NAS
      * High-performance file sharing
      * Parallel file systems
      * SAN-enabled file systems
      * Wide area file systems (WAFS)

The speaker is Jacob Farmer, a well-known figure in the data storage industry
for over 20 years. He has authored numerous papers and articles and is a
regular speaker at trade shows and conferences. Farmer writes an advice column
in the Reader I/O section of InfoStor Magazine, the leading trade magazine of
the data storage industry, and serves as one of the publication's senior
technical advisors.  He is also CTO of Cambridge Computer Services, a national
integrator of data storage and data protection solutions.

To register, visit http://usenixontheroadunc.eventbrite.com/ or call
781.250.3039.

Please share this information with your colleagues around the Triangle. We hope
to see you there.

Regards,

Ruth Marinshaw, RENCI Engagement Center at UNC Chapel Hill
Brent Caison, ITS