[NCSA-discuss] RAID recommendations?

Simon Karpen simon at karpens.org
Fri Dec 17 18:45:39 EST 2010

On 12/17/2010 6:31 PM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Depends on how you define Bang! ;)
It always does! Keep in mind this application was backup staging, which
is important but not something you need 5 9's for.
> Also depends on how important the data you are putting on it is.

Well, I was suggesting buying it as a JBOD and pairing it with an
existing or additional controller. And again, this is backup staging,
which means you should still have both the backup and the source. I'd
still suggest hardware RAID, as much for sysadmin sanity as anything
else (disks fail).

But

Simon Karpen                                      simon at karpens.org
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, it is not
necessarily a good idea.
                          -- Ross Callon, RFC1925