[NCSA-discuss] MIBs and monitoring

Dewey Hylton dewey at hyltown.com
Mon Oct 10 21:54:39 EDT 2011

i use snmp/rrdtool, but only for traffic monitoring where i used to employ mrtg. it works like a champ - set it and forget it. mostly i just use it to keep up with vpn/multiroute traffic (multiple vpn/gre/tun/virtual interfaces where configs tend to get a bit confusing for me). fwiw, in almost all cases my host os is openbsd.

i also currently use snmp (but not rrdtool) in concert with orion/solarwinds for monitoring of just about everything (routers/vmware/servers). it kind of does its job. and i hate it very much.

regarding xymon:
i used big brother over a decade ago and it was wonderful for our needs (300+ windows servers, probably 50 aix/linux boxes). where i sit today, we've used zabbix/groundwork/... and a whole slew of other things. solarwinds is the only thing that stuck, and that was a management decision - those of us in the trenches pretty much hate it. i've asked permission to stand up another big brother instance because i was familiar with it and knew it could get the job done - so was surprised and happy to hear how xymon is related.