[NCSA-discuss] SCO partition problem

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 15 08:54:10 EDT 2012

I'm helping a customer with SCO 5.0.4.

He is running out of disk space on his 40G disk. On
inspection of the disk (with linux) I find the following
partitions, starting at sector 63

/dev/sda3	1G DOS-16bit
/dev/sda4	2G SysV or GNUHurd

ie he is using only 3G of the 40G used.

The DOS partition won't mount with linux (-t msdos or -t
vfat). I assume it's unformatted.

I presume the SysV partition is the SCO files.

I had expected that the partitions on the disk would start
at partition 1, allowing me to add more partitions. With the
last partition as partition 4, it's not obvious how to add
more partitions. Possibly I could relabel the partitions
with linux fdisk, but then I assume the boot sequence has to
know which partitions to boot and mount and I don't know
how to change that (other than making the appropriate
partition active).

I used SCO to try to make an extra partition, which it did,
but it was small (maybe 100kB).

The customer tried reinstalling SCO on another disk and
tried all variations of the install options (eg "use whole
disk") but wound up with the same sized partitions.

Checking the SCO docs with google, I can't find any
limitations on partition size during the install.

I find that /usr has to be on / and not on a separate
partition as SCO needs files in /usr on boot. I had hoped to
move /usr to a new partition.

I'll put in a call to SCO today, but I don't expect an
answer for a couple of days, if at all.

Anyone know how to increase the partition sizes?

Thanks Joe