[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri May 4 10:10:46 EDT 2012

I was asked to look at a SCO (5.0.4) box the other day to
see if I could put a NAS on it to act as a backup device. I
couldn't find nfs (man nfs, and man nfsd said "not found")
and nothing obvious in /sbin or /usr/sbin. The machine is
stand-alone (not networked) and I didn't think to look to
see if I could configure an ethernet device, so it's
possible that none of the networking is installed either.

The machine is in a retailer; it's only purpose is to do
accounts. They're happy with their vt100/curses interface.
Upgrading to a current version of SCO is $15k and they would
rather not do that.

SCO and the one reseller I tried aren't returning phone
calls, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows.

o is SCO installed in packages such that it's possible that
nfs (and networking) aren't installed or weren't purchased?
Do you buy each bit of SCO separately? Is it possible that
networking/nfs is on the install CD but hasn't been
installed?

o from what I've read of SCO back in those days, nfs was v2
and some/many NASs have trouble with nfs v2.

Thanks Joe