[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri May 4 18:27:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> Joe,

Hi Jeffrey. Thanks for your help.

> Seems like NFS would have been a standard feature,

I would have thought so. Back in the early '90's, even DOS
3.3 had networking, pcnfs and (with DESQView) X (all from
3rd parties, but you could get it).

I just got a call back from UnXis. There are two versions of
SCO: the host version which has no networking and the
enterprise version which has networking (and for SCO
5.0.4, nfs v2).

The client will need a $1400 upgrade. I hate to recommend he
spend that money. Ideally the client should move to Linux,
except that their inhouse COBOL accounting package has about
10man-yrs of code in it. That makes it at least a 500k$
accounting package. I expect it will require some porting. I
wonder if clients realise how much money they spend on these
applications and how they are tied to an ancient system with
no easy upgrade path.

Joe