[RHCE] Notes from the first meeting/new schedule and syllabus

Jim Thompson rhce@trilug.org
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings RHCE group members,

At Thursday's initial meeting we introduced ourselves
and heard from Frank Welty, RHCE. Special thanks to
Frank for taking time out of his schedule to give us
some great advice as we get started.

We decided a couple things at the first meeting:
- Due to some conflicts, we're switching to Tuesday
instead of Thursday nights. The new syallbus is at the
bottom of this mail.
- Each person signed up to lead the discussion/lab on
a particular day and those are listed on the new
syllabus at the end of this mail.
- The group decided that anyone else who wants to
attend any meetings must first sign up to help lead
one of the discussions. The group isn't intended for
casual  or sporatic attendees. If you didn't attend
the first session but think you want to start
attending, you'll need to volunteer to help lead a
discussion day (just mail the whole list).

Our next meeting is Tuesday, June 11. See you then.

Jim
***************************************
Updated syllabus

Meeting 2 (Tuesday, June 11, 7-9pm) Led by Josep
"Sinner" Guallar-Esteve.
Hardware and Installation
- Partitioning (fdisk, utils to repartition existing)
- Boot loaders (lilo/grub and config files)
- Boot messages
- System startup scripts, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
- System runlevels
- System config files (xinetd, rc scripts,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, shell config
scripts)...

Meeting 3 (Tuesday, June 25, 7-9pm) Led by Jim
Thompson
Configuration and Administration
- User accounts - create/delete
- home directory issues
- linuxconf
- Redhat package manager
- Chkconfig
- Quotas
- File system commands (ls, cp, rm, mv, chown, chgrp,
ln....)

Meeting 4 (Tuesday, July 9, 6-10pm) Led by Steven
Holton
Alternate Installation Methods [LAB 1]
- Kickstart
- Network installs
- Typical install "gotchas"

Meeting 5 (Tuesday, July 23, 7-9pm) Led by Rock Roskam
Kernel Services and Configuration
- Compiling and installing
- Kernel source
- Modules

Meeting 6 (Tuesday, Aug 6, 6-10pm) Led by Jason Tower
Standard Networking Services  [LAB 2]
- Apache, FTP, Samba, Mail, Print, DHCP, Xntp/rdate,
SSH, DNS...

Meeting 7 (Tuesday, Aug 20, 7-9pm) Led by Frank
Pittenger
X Window System
- X-server/X-clients
- Configuration scripts
- startup
- Remote-X
- Troubleshooting and common problems

Meeting 8 (Tuesday, Sept 3, 6-10pm) Led by Jerry
Gordon
User and Host Security, Routers, Firewalls, and
Troubleshooting  [LAB3]
- PAM
- NIS
- Squid
- Syslog
- COPS
- Ipchains, iptables, ipaliasing, TCPWrappers
- NFS