[Trilug-announce] Free Software Conference in Raleigh -- Sept 12 2009 -- call for talks, and signups open

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Jul 31 15:30:30 EDT 2009

Subject: Free Software Conference in Raleigh -- Sept 12 2009 --
          call for talks, and signups open
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:20:52 -0400
From: Michael DeHaan <michael.dehaan at gmail.com>

Hi everyone, (and apologies for the spam!)

You're receiving this mail because you're involved with leadership of
a group associated with Free & Open Source Software (or at least users
of a FOSS project) in Raleigh/Durham/RTP, and we'd like some help in
sharing a free technology event we're planning with your group
members.    If you wouldn't mind forwarding this along to those groups
that might be interested and helping us get the word out it would be
*greatly* appreciated and I look forward to the potential of getting
everyone together.  (Blog/tweet mentions are appreciated too!)

Evil Robot Conference -- http://evilrobotconference.wordpress.com/
What:    A fun one-day mini-conference about Free Software Technology
Who's it For:     Pretty much everyone.    Developers, Students, Sys
Admins, Hobbyists, etc
When:  September 12, 2009 (Saturday), 9:30 AM - 5 PM, with after-event
details TBD
Where:   1801 Varsity Drive, Raleigh, NC  (Red Hat HQ)
Cost:     $0  (Just Sign Up First, On the Website Above)

Why Evil Robot Conference?

A while back several of us attended a FudCON (Fedora Users and
Developers Conference) in Raleigh, had a great time, and then were
disappointed that we didn't have such a thing happening on a regular
basis here -- more so, we believe we needed more events like this --
more inclusive ones -- a good technical event, all about technical
open source bits, in one of the greatest technical areas for it in the
country.   We wanted a conference that could have something for
hackers of all skill levels, and also provide some material for people
who are just getting started with open source projects and wanting to
learn how to dive in.   We also wanted a way we could stay exposed to
all the cool and new things everyone was playing with, and getting
various user groups together    Hence, Evil Robot Conference.   It's
not about Evil Robots, actually, that's just a catchy name -- but
robots are welcome to come if they are open source  :)

  Anyway, we need *you* to make it successful.

Email me if you'd like to give a talk about something technical and
free software related and we'll put you on the list (no product
pitches, sales material, or non-open software).

We are looking for all kinds of topics -- OS internals, new
programming languages, how to your favorite programming library, git
tips and tricks, whatever you would like to share.   You can see a
little bit of what we already have planned on the web site, though
it's people like you who can provide the good stuff.

Of course, you don't have to give a talk, we'd love to have folks just
come and be a part of things.    It's very informal, and no cost to
sign up.

Thanks!   I look forward to seeing you there, and email me if you have
any questions!

Michael DeHaan
Again, the URL:   http://evilrobotconference.wordpress.com