[TriLUG-announce] SPECIAL VOTE on Feb 10: dissolve the TriLUG corporation?

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:40:20 EST 2011

At our normal monthly meeting, on February 10, 2010, we will hold a vote
as to whether to dissolve the TriLUG corporation. TriLUG intends to
continue holding meetings and to operate as a user group, regardless of
whether we remain incorporated. The question at hand has more to do with
tax status than with your experience as a member of the group. Your
experience will remain mostly the same and, as always, will be largely
influenced by how much you and your fellow members contribute your time
and enthusiasm to the group.

There is a summary of the question at hand, written by our Webmaster and
available here:
   http://www.trilug.org/2011-01-13/trilug-org-status

We had a meeting on December 2, 2010 for general discussion on this
topic. The meeting lasted approximately 3 hours and you can listen to a
recording of it here:
   http://www.trilug.org/media/trilug-organizational-mtg-2010-12-01.wav

Further discussion regarding this, both pro and con, should be held on
the main mailing list for TriLUG. You can subscribe here:

If you are a new subscriber, please check the archives for recent
discussion on this topic:
   http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/

Since we also have a speaker for the February 10 meeting, we expect all
discussion and debate to be complete prior to the meeting. If there are
points that you want to be certain people consider prior to voting, then
please raise those points on the mailing list.

The meeting begins at 7:00PM. We will handle our normal meeting
business, such as community announcements and "have a job / need a job",
and then we will prepare to vote. We will have one person summarize the
key points from the "pro" side of the discussion and another person
summarize the "con" side of the discussion. These summaries will be
brief and will only include points that have already been raised on the
mailing list. We will then collect ballots from voting members.

We will do our best to allow our speaker to begin at 7:30PM. We will
count the ballots during the presentation and, if possible, we will
announce the results at the end of the meeting. If it takes longer than
that to count the ballots, we will announce the results on the mailing
list and again at the following meeting.

Please remember that you need to be a TriLUG member in order to cast a
vote. Please bring your membership card with you. If you have previously
applied for a membership card but have not yet received it, please
arrive early and ask a steering committee member for your card. We would
appreciate it if you would bring a photo ID, as well.

Thanks for your consideration and interest in this issue. Please join us
in the discussion on the mailing list. The link, once again is: