[TriLUG-announce] August 11 meeting: Technically Speaking...

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:26:12 EDT 2011

Topic: Technically Speaking...
Presenter: Alan Hoffler
When: Thursday, August 11th, 7pm
Where: Red Hat HQ, NCSU Centennial Campus
Map: http://www.redhat.com/about/contact/ww/americas/raleigh.html

One of the coolest parts about TriLUG is how the members share their
projects with the rest of the group. Most of the TriLUG meeting
presentations
over the last year have been given by members, not by outside guests.
But, geeks that we are, many of us are more comfortable in front of a laptop
(or a green screen terminal) than we are in front of a crowd.
We feel that the guy up front must have a knack for speaking, or maybe
he had a class on it. What does it take to be a good speaker?

Alan Hoffler was teaching technical courses at SAS, and teaching other
trainers how to teach, when he realized that his true passion was teaching
communication skills. This month, Alan will show us that giving a good
technical presentation is not that hard to do. In fact, it's something that
any of us can do.

We are very excited about having this crash course in technical presentation
skills, because we rely on our members for many of our programs. And
many of us are asked to give technical presentations at work as well.

About the speaker:
Alan D. Hoffler
Trainer, Speaker, Consultant, Coach

Raised around America's Space Program, Alan Hoffler has earned
degrees in aerospace engineering and applied mathematics and never
bothered to pursue a living in either field. At some point in his 20 years
of training technical corporate audiences, instructing in the college
classroom, teaching public high school, and speaking nationally to pilots
about flying safety he became passionate about helping others
communicate more effectively. He believes that communication has the
power to change a person, an organization, a community, and the world.
When he's not speaking or training, he stays active serving in the local
chapter of his professional organization, supporting activities and
instructing in his local church, and enjoying the privileges of his
commercial pilot's license. His blog identifies solutions to common
communication foibles and highlights his analytical eye and desire to
improve himself as well as his clients. His most challenging training
endeavor is also his most enjoyable -- raising two children -- and is the
basis of a forthcoming book on fatherhood.