[TriLUG-announce] Free Raspberry Pi eBooks - At the TriLUG Meet 10 Jan, 2013

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Tue Jan 8 21:40:30 EST 2013

For our January 10th TriLUG meet, we already have THE awesome topic
"Raspberry Pi" and the AWESOME folks from Splatspace to give us the
down and dirty details on how we can utilize this extremely cool
device. Now, just to top it all off...we will be giving away free
Raspberry Pi stuff!!!

Andy Hunt, author of the best-selling book "The Pragmatic Programmer",
has offered us several copies of the eBook "Raspberry Pi: A
Quick-Start Guide" by Maik Schmidt. Andy may even be there, in person,
to help us raffle them off! Continue reading for more details...

Raspberry Pi: A Quick-Start Guide gives you everything you need to get
the Raspberry Pi up and running and doing cool stuff. You’ll get
started by learning what additional hardware you need and how to
connect it, install Debian Linux and configure it to your needs, and
customize the Pi’s firmware to get the most out of your hardware.

Then the fun begins. You’ll connect the Pi to your home network and
try surfing the web and tweeting messages. You’ll learn how to get the
most out of Midori, the Pi’s standard browser. Then in a few simple
steps you’ll turn the Pi into a kiosk system that displays Twitter
live search information. You’ll also learn how you can control the
desktops of other PCs in your house with the Pi.

Once you have the basics down, you’ll explore the Pi’s versatility
with a series of home projects. Turn it into a web server in your home
network. Convert the Pi into a powerful multimedia center so you can
watch high-definition video and listen to your favorite music. Play
classic video games. Then use the GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi to
build electronics projects such as an “out of memory” alarm, and learn
how to access the project using a web browser. Power to the Pi!

-----

The Pragmatic Bookshelf features books written by developers for
developers. The titles continue the well-known Pragmatic Programmer
style, and continue to garner awards and rave reviews. As development
gets more and more difficult, the Pragmatic Programmers will be there
with more titles and products to help programmers stay on top of their
game.

------

Andy Hunt is a programmer turned consultant, author and publisher.
He authored the best-selling book "The Pragmatic Programmer" and six
others, was one of the 17 founders of the Agile Alliance, and
co-founded the Pragmatic Bookshelf, publishing award-winning and critically
acclaimed books for software developers.