[TriLUG-announce] November 14 Meeting: Cryptography and GPG

Barry Peddycord III ishara at isharacomix.org
Thu Oct 17 09:28:13 EDT 2013

Topic: Cryptography and GPG
Presenter: Sean Alexandre
When: Thursday, 14th November 2013, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: NC State Engineering Building II Room 1021, Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking decks and Oval Drive street parking are free after 5pm

Abstract:

Cryptography has been in the news a lot lately. We'll start with a quick
overview of some of the major recent headlines, specifically about the
NSA's attempts to circumvent and break encryption and what experts are
recommending to stay as secure as possible online. This will be followed
with a high-level overview of cryptography. We'll look at where it's
been made easy to use, and were it's not so easy. Then we will dig into
the details of using GPG from the command line, to encrypt documents and
to verify software packages.

Bio:

Sean Alexandre is a Senior Software Developer at SAS Institute, where
he's been working on different front-end applications for the past 12
years. Lately his interests have been on Linux and free software, with a
focus on distributed systems and defensive security