[Trilug-ontopic] auto-detach for screen?

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:35:26 EST 2007

Hi folks,

On our machines we have TMOUT=120 for bash. Once upon a time I found
this annoying, but it's a cultural norm here that has grown on me to
the point that I want it elsewhere. Specifically, I want a mechanism
to send a pow_detach to screen(1) if I've been idle for 7 minutes.
Anybody know what magic I might put in my ~/.screenrc to get screen to
do that? If such magic doesn't exist, can someone wiser and more
bearded suggest a bash trick that would have the same effect?

If upon arriving home I remember that I've left myself attached at
work, I can accomplish the same thing by logging into the machine with
my screen session and issuing 'screen -Dr' (if you're not familiar
with screen you really should go play with it--it's amazing. :), but I
don't trust myself, so I want it built in.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
celebrating 15 years of sunsite/metalab/ibiblio: