[Trilug-ontopic] need to program a series of LED lights

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Fri Dec 12 01:01:28 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The fact that you call it PERL instead of Perl probably means you're not very proficient in that
>> either :)
>>

> What's wrong with that?  The man page for PERL specifically spells it
> that way in a couple of places and makes mention that it's an acronym
> for "Practical Extraction and Report Language."

http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?perl_vs_perl

"Despite being a backronym, it is never correct to write PERL in all
caps. Why? Honestly, because it's UGLY to scatter random all-caps
NOUNS in your writing. It also hearkens back to
things-which-are-written-in-all-caps-which-we-would-rather-forget,
like COBOL or FORTRAN. Writing PERL in all caps is a strong red flag
that the author does not know much Perl, or lives outside the Perl
community who would have beaten^W charismatically deprogrammed such
behavior out long ago."

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But