[Trilug-ontopic] Process priority

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Wed May 7 19:06:50 EDT 2008

You may find using a different I/O scheduler will help.  Assuming a 2.6
kernel, here's some background: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6931

In recent 2.6 kernels the default I/O scheduler is cfq, and is
selectable on a per-device basis.  Here's how to change it to (for
instance) deadline for /dev/hda:

# cd /sys/block/hda/queue
# cat scheduler
noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
# echo deadline > scheduler
# cat scheduler
noop anticipatory [deadline] cfq

The 'best' I/O scheduler depends on the kind of load the machine is
seeing.  Since there are currently only four to choose from, why not try
your test with each?

Dave