[Trilug-ontopic] Dual Boot Laptop - Tinker or Re-install

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Oct 31 12:21:40 EDT 2008

{I love the way Evolution decided to send my last message in html format
...}

Michael Rulison <13miketele at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> If advice is to scrap, I will, of course, backup files of MY data again.
> Need I backup any of the respective OS files?

You could always backup the partitions individually using dd in case you
ever wanted to explore them or try going back in the future.  I have been
successful in creating a dd image of a partition, storing it on an external
USB drive, reloading the machine with a new distro, and later mounting
the dd image as another filesystem.

In case you didn't know how to use dd to backup a partition:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-make-linux-filesystem-backup-with-dd.html
and
http://www.cpqlinux.com/ddbackup.html

--