[Trilug-ontopic] Ubuntu versions

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Fri Sep 5 12:56:32 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Michael Rulison
<13miketele at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Dear TriLuggers,
>
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hoary Hedgehog installed as a partition on a
> dual-boot laptop. It has been updated with whatever the Ubuntu folks
> have said they wanted to add.
>
> Current Grub menu lists .....2.6.24-19-386 --- this no longer will
> connect to the Internet, but gives an ip of 169.......
>
>                              and .....2.6.24-19-generic --- which
> connects to Internet just fine, with an ip of 192..........
>
> 1.    I've done some reading on 386 vs generic and I concluded that the
> jury was out on which one to use.
> Do you have guidance on this?

I use generic unless there's a powerful reason to use another kernel,
and for me powerful means "it will be impossible for me to do my job
without this kernel."

> 2.   Which settings/files can I transfer from generic to 386 in order to
> get -386 back in a good humor to connect to Internet?

You may have some conflict with with modules. When you pulled the
-386, did you somehow not get the corresponding kernel modules
package?

My suggestion is just use the -generic unless you can explain to us
the powerful reason to use -386.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But