[Trilug-ontopic] Postfix vs Sendmail

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Sun Jul 5 21:38:19 EDT 2009

For high-volume sites that act as relays/forwarders rather than having
an MDA, use qmail. It has a spotless security track record and is fast
as hell.

For ease of use, standards compliance, and just plain sanity, use
Postfix. The only downside I've heard of (not experienced firsthand) was
its tendency to block on a single thread for very high volume
applications. If you need POP or IMAP, use dovecot, easily the best and
most configurable delivery server. If someone suggests that you should
use Courier, stomp on his foot and run away.

If you'd like to gradually go insane while falling asleep with the Bat
Book spread across your face, or if you have a perverse enjoyment of the
m4 macro language, use sendmail.

--bak