[Trilug-ontopic] wrestling with Apache basic config

Brandon T Stone brandon.stone at duke.edu
Thu Jul 1 08:38:25 EDT 2010

My first guess would be SELinux, which is on by default and usually causes
problems with Apache if not configured properly, although, I apache
returns a Forbidden rather than a file not found.  In any case, you can
disable SELinux temporarily to test your setup by issuing setenforce 0 as
a super user.  More info here:
http://www.electrictoolbox.com/switch-off-selinux-centos-5/ and
http://beginlinux.com/server_training/web-server/976-apache-and-selinux if
you want to keep SELinux running.

If it is in fact SELinux, you should see errors in your log files
/var/log/httpd/error_log , check your conf file for the correct location
of the error log.  If it isn't SELinux, the log file may very well tell
you where it's looking for the file that it cannot find.

Brandon

dave at abercom.com
Sent by: trilug-ontopic-bounces at trilug.org
06/30/10 03:10 PM
Please respond to
Technical discussion related to Linux and Open Source
<trilug-ontopic at trilug.org>

trilug-ontopic at trilug.org
cc

Subject
[Trilug-ontopic] wrestling with Apache basic config

Hi,
I am attempting to administer a somewhat new server (centos 5.1) via
webmin, also have console access.  I have succesfully mouted an Apache
vitual web server that seems to be just fine.  The Apache default web
site, however, will not serve a simple jpg that i have been using for
testing (or a simple html file), reporting 'file not found';  sure looks
there to me.

My ultimate goal is to get phpmyadmin going, but first things first.

Might there be a well-known thing that I am missing?

Apologies if I am not using the list properly.

Thanks.

Trilug-ontopic mailing list
Trilug-ontopic at trilug.org