[Trilug-ontopic] sysadmin questions

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Jun 12 12:42:28 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 05:48:53AM -0400, Richard O. Hammer wrote:
> Thank you, Cristóbal.
> The context is this:  I am starting from a minimal default and building up.
> Our server runs at runlevel 3.  So we don't have gui sysadmin tools.  I
> do most useful work from a command prompt.
> After installing Tomcat, I have both a user named tomcat and a group
> named tomcat.  Here's the report on the tomcat directory:
> [root at test etc]# ls -ld /usr/local/tomcat
> drwxrwxr-x 11 root tomcat 4096 Jun 11 23:49 /usr/local/tomcat
> So I'm thinking maybe I will:
>  - make a group for the developers in our team;
>  - make a user account for each developer with the default group being
> that one for developers;
>  - add the developers group to the tomcat group (??)

Which seems reasonable to me.  Just follow Cristobal's advice.

First, however, make sure that you have an entry in your /etc/group file that is the group that you want your developers to have as their default.

See if you have the command "vigr" in your system. ( I am presuming that you are familiar with "vi." )

If you do, just issue "vigr" at your root command prompt.  Go to the bottom of the file, looking at the numbers that are already there, and add a line to the bottom of the file that looks like this:

Where "developer-group" is a string that names the group -- you probably want something shorter, and 151 is a number that is not otherwise used in the file.  I would suggest that you want it to be somewhere in the 100-500 range.  Others may differ.

After you've done that, and saved the file, you can follow Cristobal's instructions, using your group name where he indicates.