[Trilug-ontopic] Wireless is dead after closing laptop lid

Brandon T Stone brandon.stone at duke.edu
Mon Jun 21 08:44:44 EDT 2010

a couple of things to try:
first run iwconfig from a terminal.  You should see a listing for your
wireless, probably wlan0.
If that works, try: iwlist scan this will find networks available for
connection

If now wireless shows up with iwconfig, run dmesg in a terminal.  There
may be an error preventing your wireless driver from loading.  Some
wireless drivers in linux conflict and you may have to blacklist one in
order to get yours working.

Also try lsusb (if external usb dongle) or lspci (if internal card) to see
if your network adapter is being seen at all.  These commands will give
you better information about your wireless hardware, which you can search
on.

Brandon Stone
Web Applications Developer
Department of Web and Technology Solutions
Duke University School of Nursing
o. 919-668-2333
e. brandon.stone at duke.edu

Ivan Panarusky <panaruskyi at gmail.com>
Sent by: trilug-ontopic-bounces at trilug.org
06/21/10 02:24 AM
Please respond to
Technical discussion related to Linux and Open Source
<trilug-ontopic at trilug.org>

trilug-ontopic at trilug.org
cc

Subject
[Trilug-ontopic] Wireless is dead after closing laptop lid

So I had just gotten to my Grandma's house and booted up my laptop. Her
wireless is setup with broadcast ssid, mac address filtering, and no
encryption. (don't bug me about this, it's the best I could do to keep a
squeezebox working) I logged into her router, and added my mac address to
the allowed list and pulled up the list of wireless networks on my laptop.
I noted that her network, and an additional encrypted one (neighbor)
showed up on the list. I selected her network, and connected without a
problem.

Shortly thereafter, I closed my laptop's lid. A minute or two later, I
opened it again, but it didn't reconnect to wireless as it usually does.
Instead, no wireless networks showed up whatsoever. I tried rebooting the
computer multiple times, and reinstalling the broadcom driver, but I still
can't get wireless to connect at all. It won't show the list of available
networks, nor will it connect if you enter the ssid manually. (It appears
to try though) The wired connection works fine though.

I know that I didn't accidentally disable the wireless card, because it
clearly says when I do. I also don't believe that it's a problem with her
router, because the squeezebox still works, and the neighbors connection
should still be showing up anyway.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware failure, but that is unlikely as this
laptop is about a week old. I have a Dell Studio 14z (1440) running Ubuntu
10.04.

-Ivan

--
Wake up and smell the ashes.