[Trilug-ontopic] how to shrink superblock?

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Mon Aug 8 11:18:50 EDT 2011

+1 for Alan's LVM plug and for whole-disk encryption.  In addition to
the great instructions he has on his blog, you can also do it with the
text-based debian installer (also available for ubuntu and some of its
derivatives).  Do manual partitioning, and go through something like
this:

1) setup 2 actual partitions, a small one for /boot, and the rest for
an encrypted device
2) go through the encryption setup, aiming it at the partition you just made
3) setup your new encrypted block device as a physical device for LVM
4) go through the LVM setup to create a volume group and then logical volumes

That gets you to the same structure Alan mapped out, but you don't
have to deal directly with grub, fstab, fdisk, crypttab, etc.

Michael