[Trilug-ontopic] nmap::scanner, perl and os matching

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:04:37 EDT 2012

I'm scratching my head on this one.  Is anyone using perl and nmap::scanner
along with guess_os() (a supposed built-in function)?  Here is a code

  my $scan = Nmap::Scanner->new();

  # $scan->guess_os();

  my $results = $scan->scan();

  my $hosts = $results->get_host_list();

  # $os = $results->guess_os();

If I uncomment just $scan->guess_os() the script breaks about 3/4 of the
time with errors such as:

  <cmdline="'/usr/bin/nmap' -v -v -v -sS -p 1-1024 -O  -oX -"/>
  <nmap-err>WARNING:  OS didn't match until try #2

On the times it does work the BEST I'm able to do is get some kind of
binary returned instead of the OS matches.

Any ideas?