[Trilug-ontopic] best way(s) to get static IP# @home with DHCP ISP?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 12:37:28 EDT 2014

Tom Roche Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:39:13 -0400
>> [I'm a student] using data and [computing remotely] provided by a
>> federal agency[, which uses] Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
>> for security services [...] recently, CSC contractors decided that
>> all "external partners" [must use] static IP#s.

Brian McCullough Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:34:23 -0400
> [Nivex] has a cheap Linode machine set up as his "global endpoint."
> He sets up a VPN connection from [wherever] he is to that, and then
> from there to the "actual" destination.

Interesting. I could do 10 $/mo. Is this solution documented anywhere? (Casual DDG did not find.) Alternatively, is Kevin Otte on this list?

> You [could] use either IPv4 or IPv6 with such a solution.

Good, because my guess is that Nameless Federal Agency is gonna be on IPv4 until someone pries the packets off their cold, dead cables :-) FWIW (and IIUC), they're still running nearly all XP desktops onsite (though a few folks have Scientific Linux supported).

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>