[Trilug-ontopic] secure removal of files on a usb stick

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 01:12:33 EDT 2014

Truly, even with modern hard disk drives, I am sure that there's no way
that overwriting one time with zeros could be insufficient, not even if the
NSA and the Russian FSB (nee KGB) work together to try to recover your
overwritten data.

One possible problem with dd, however, is that it writes BIG chunks, and
when it gets to the end of the drive I think it might fail to overwrite the
last sectors, if the end of the requested write block doesn't align with
the end of the device. I could be wrong about that, though, and it might
vary from one system to another.

Dave