[TriLUG] Re: help, fetchmail is downloading incredibly slooooooooowly

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 13 10:46:19 EDT 2001

As I was reading your message, I thought: "That's gotta be a DNS problem!"
The description is perfect...

But it could also be a piece of crap "mail" on the server.  Mindspring
recently spammed a bunch of folks with a malformed email.  Fetchmail may be
chocking on that piece of mail and then moving on.

Try telnetting into the pop server and see the problem first hand:
   telnet mail.mindspring.com 110
     user ur_username
     pass ur_password

 Minimal POP3 Commands:

      USER name               valid in the AUTHORIZATION state
      PASS string
      QUIT

      STAT                    valid in the TRANSACTION state
      LIST [msg]
      RETR msg
      DELE msg
      NOOP
      RSET

      QUIT                    valid in the UPDATE state

   Optional POP3 Commands:

      APOP name digest        valid in the AUTHORIZATION state

      TOP msg n               valid in the TRANSACTION state
      UIDL [msg]

   POP3 Replies:

      +OK
      -ERR

 Note that with the exception of the STAT, LIST, and UIDL commands, the reply
given by the POP3 server to any command is significant only to "+OK" and
"-ERR". Any text occurring after this reply may be ignored by the client.

http://freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1725/
===