[TriLUG] Since we're discussing hardware...any thoughts on a "Linux-friendly" new video card??

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 10 22:54:21 EDT 2001

Generally Matrox cards are very good in this respect (but their 3D suffers
compared with Nvidia's using Nvidia's binary-only drivers and with
ATI's). I've had good luck with my G400, but I don't think it has a "DVD
interface" per se. Currently CVS (HEAD) X is somewhat of a moving
target; just a few days ago some fixes were committed that corrected the
RENDER extension being broken in *all* the drivers, and I myself have not
had luck getting an ATI Radeon-chipset card to work (correctly or even at
all) on my Via Apollo Pro KT133-based motherboard. There's more useful
information in the DRI archives at http://dri.sourceforge.net

dtc

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu