[TriLUG] more on security and mounting drives

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 11 16:30:52 EDT 2001

In mining to find better solutions for mountable over the network file
sharing, I discovered something called davfs
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dav  It lets you actually mount http
shares in read/write mode.

I don't know how fast it would be, I don't find http to be very fast.
Personally I like the gnu hurd approach.  A "translator" for ftp.
Basically making ftp look like nfs.  Unfortunately the gnu crowd can't
coordinate large projects and gnu hurd will probably be finished
sometime in 2010.

Maybe writing one for linux will be a good way to brush up my c/c++
skills that have gotten quite rusty.

Personally I'm much to busy to mess with any other stuff until I get a
little more off my plate (mainly www.sourceforge.net/projects/poi which
eats up alot of my time currently).

Excuse the scattered nature, but anyone whose interested should checkout
http://avirubin.com/passport.html
Its a security analysis of MS passport.  I know everyone here is anxious
to sign on to letting microsoft be the central authority for access to
your server side applications, but before you jump on the bandwagon just
let please take a look at this.  Then think "What if it was fully
deployed and code red had hit the MS Passport Server farm?  I know
you're all sitting there thinking "god I can't wait till microsoft gives
us a central authority scheme, I know it will be secure since its from
Microsoft and I saw all their ads talking about their secure solutions."
  , but just take a look at the article first.  Its written as a
technical analysis, not a "rant" about how crappy M$ is.

-Andy